If yesterday’s snowfall has you itching to get your ski on, you’re in luck:
Winter Jam NYC — the annual winter sport festival organized by the Parks Department — takes place this Saturday (1/25) in Central Park.
The event will feature free skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, exhibition events and more. There’s even the “Iams Doggie Bowl” — a special dedicated section for pooches.
Last year organizers had to rely solely on snowmaking guns, but the 12 inches of fluffy white stuff that Winter Storm Janus dropped on the city should provide a nice base.
Still, despite the timely snowfall, they’re cranking out additional man-made flakes as I type this in order to ensure proper coverage for all the planned activities.
Full details are available from NYC Parks & Recreation:
Presented by NYC Parks, Lake Placid, and I Love NY, Winter Jam NYC is a free winter sports festival for New Yorkers of all ages! Our partners at Gore Mountain will blow lots of fresh snow in the heart of Manhattan, so there will be plenty for all to enjoy!
- Lake Placid Snow Field
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Learn to Ride: Skiing and Snowboarding
- Iams Doggie Bowl
- Taste NY Winter Market
- Pure Barre® Classes
Equipment provided at no cost, or bring your own snow sports gear and enjoy the terrain!
Iams Doggie Bowl:
Bring your four-legged friends to celebrate this year’s Super Bowl, featuring:
- An enclosed free play area
- The Iams photo experience booth
- Free grooming, trims and clean-ups at the Camp Canine Salon and Spa
- An ‘Ask the Expert’ booth featuring canine behaviorists, nutritionists and others
- A Tail-Gate cafe
- Prizes for dogs wearing their favorite football jersey (while supplies last)
- And more!
- New York Cares Coat Drive: Bring a new or gently used winter coat to help keep New Yorkers warm.
- Learn with the Pros: So-Gnar Clothing Co will be supplying a group to team up with Mountain Creek for participants to learn, have fun and shred with 6 professional snowboarders from Colorado.
The action runs from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm on Saturday, 1/25, in the area around the Central Park Bandshell (roughly 72nd Street).
NOTE: Participants in cross–country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowboarding/skiing lessons must sign a waiver and provide photo identification before participating in any of these activities. The waivers will be provided at the event. Participants under the age of 18 must have a legal guardian present with photo identification to sign the waiver. Waiting lines for the activities are subject to close early.
Filed under: Central Park, Entertainment, Events, Free, Kid Stuff, Manhattan, Nature, New York City, NYC, Things to do, Upper West Side, Upper West Side Blog, Upper West Side Dog Stuff, UWS No Comments »
Tags: Central Park, Central Park Bandshell, Doggie Snow Zone, doggie zone, Dogs, Iams Doggie Bow, New York City, NYC, skiing, Snow, snow machine, snow making, snowboarding, Upper West Side, UWS, winter festival, Winter Jam, Winter Jam 2014, Winter Jam NYC, winter sports