- SATURDAY 1/26: Winter Jam NYC In Central Park — Free Skiing, Snowboarding, Entertainment & More
- Dedicated “Doggie Snow Zone” At Saturday’s Winter Jam In Central Park
As I write this, it’s 20 degrees (with a wind chill of 4) in Central Park, which is perfect weather for… snowmaking.
Yes, there are snowmaking machines running full blast in the park as NYC prepares for its annual winter sports festival, Winter Jam NYC 2013.
The event takes place this Saturday (January 26th) and will feature free skiing (downhill & cross-country), snowboarding, snowshoeing, and more. There’s even a dedicated “Doggie Snow Zone.”
Winter Jam is a uniquely New York experience and should be fantastic for both participants and those who simply walk around with hot chocolate and gaze at the spectacle of it.
If you’re trying to remember Winter Jam 2012, don’t bother — it was canceled due to lack of… winter.
That won’t be the case this year, as temperatures are supposed to remain in the 20s all week, allowing for plenty of man-made snow. There’s even a chance for a legit snowstorm on Friday, meaning fresh powder on Saturday morning.
Full details on Winter Jam are available from NYC Parks & Recreation:
Presented by the NYC Parks Department and the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA), Winter Jam NYC is a free annual winter sports festival that encourages New Yorkers to get out and enjoy the outdoors in the colder months. Our partners at Gore Mountain will be blowing lots of fresh snow (weather permitting), so there will be plenty to go around!
- Lake Placid Snow Field
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Red Bull MetroRail – An open rail jam for skiers and snowboarders. To register, visit the Red Bull MetroRail page.
- Learn to Ride: Skiing and Snowboarding
- Unreal Ice Lounge
- Watch and Learn to Play Quidditch
- Animal Tracking with the Urban Park Rangers
- Pride of New York Winter Market
- NY State Ski Resorts Info Booths
- Live Entertainment
Doggie Snow Zone:
- Doggie Snow Park – An enclosed, off-leash area featuring agility equipment from Biscuits & Bath Dog Retreat
- ‘Ask the Expert’ Booth – Featuring celebrity dog groomer Jorge Bendersky, an expert nutritionist, and a canine behaviorist
- Café area and Doggie Treat Bar
- Adoptable Animals
- Vendor Booths
- Treat Bag Giveaway (while supplies last)
The action runs from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm on Saturday, 1/26, in the area around the Central Park Bandshell (roughly 72nd Street). Equipment is provided at no cost, but you can bring your own if you have it.
As noted above, if you’re interested in the Red Bull Metrorail (open to both skiers and snowboarders), you need to register in advance at their Eventbrite site.
Filed under: Central Park, Entertainment, Events, Free, Manhattan, Nature, New York City, News, NYC, Seniors, Things to do, Upper West Side, Upper West Side Blog, Upper West Side Dog Stuff, UWS No Comments »
Tags: Central Park, Central Park Bandshell, Doggie Snow Zone, doggie zone, Dogs, New York City, NYC, skiing, Snow, snow machine, snow making, snowboarding, Upper West Side, UWS, winter festival, Winter Jam, Winter Jam 2013, winter sports