This is admittedly a bit late in the day to start this, but I had a hard time balacning personal obligations and MyUpperWest today.
Was going to skip it entirely, but so many people are asking about Halloween activities on the Upper West Side tonight I figured better late than never.
Obviously, Riverside Park and Central Park have canceled their activities.
Also, the 69th Street Block Associations is NOT holding their annual event tonight. However, I have heard that some buildings on West 69th (between CPW & Broadway) are decorated, and some residents will distribute candy to trick-or-treaters who come by at 6 pm this evening.
That said, I believe 69th Street will be a very small-scale thing this year, so I would not bother heading over there unless you live in the immediate area.
- “One of our contributors who lives in the neighborhood said that 90th between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues is a good bet”
- “Amy, one of our readers, recommends 87th Street between Broadway and West End Avenue. “The whole block gets decked out, brownstone to brownstone!’”
- “Reader Howard says, “79th Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues is great. All the prewar buildings decorate their lobbies and hand out candy to kids. Really cool.’”
Again, if anyone can confirm the status of these sites, please let me know. If you can recommend other parts of the neighborhood, that would be great too.
- Update 4:43: Erica reports “Broadway & Amsterdam in the 80s seem to be having their annual store trick or treating.”
- Update 4:50: Amelia writes that “most stores on Broadway doing trick-or-treat candies”
- Update 5:24: Jo Ann says “78th Street from Columbus to Amsterdam will be holding their Halloween Happening from 6-8 PM tonight.”
- Update 5:35: Melanie just reported from 69 Street “on 69th now and def worth checking out. Lots of decorations and trick or treating.”
- Update 6:00: @EWinthropAlsop tweeted “Central Baptist Church Halloween Party 92nd and Amsterdam. Call for details. 212-724-4004″
- Update 7:10: @cyberjournalist just sent in a photo and recap of the action on W. 87th (between Riverside & West End)
As for adults…
It seems like many bars in the neighborhood are now open, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding local watering holes to pass the time.
If you know of Halloween specific events, please let me know. Here’s one:
- Amsterdam Tavern (938 Amsterdam, btw. 106/107) will have karaoke and candy starting at 10 pm
Filed under: Entertainment, Events, Kid Stuff, Manhattan, New York City, News, NYC, Things to do, Upper West Side, Upper West Side Blog, UWS 2 Comments »