UPDATE 10:15 pm: A few more details
An unimaginably horrific scene is unfolding at an Upper West Side apartment building at 57 W. 75th (near Columbus).
There’s so much information floating around (with details varying between media outlets) that I’ll try and recap things here. This is all as of about 7:05 pm on Thursday, 10/25:
- Two children have died from stab wounds. Their ages have been reported as “3 & 5,” “2 & 6,” and “1 & 6″ — some outlets are saying it’s two boys, while others are reporting the victims are a boy and a girl..
- A nanny has been arrested. She reportedly suffered from self-inflicted stab wounds and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
- In addition to the nanny, it’s possible up to two other adults were found in the apartment with stab wounds. At the moment there are virtually no details about this.
- The mother of the children returned home around 5:30 pm and discovered the unfathomable scene, after which a 911 call was placed (possibly by a neighbor who heard screaming).
- Some news outlets are reporting the children were dead when the mother arrived home. However, there are several reports of a frantic rescue effort by first responders, with the children dying later at a nearby hospital.
- The crime scene around 75th & Columbus is apparently massive and the area should be avoided if possible.
This is obviously a huge developing story and the specifics should start to become more clear as the evening progresses.
UPDATE 7:15 pm: Added links to stories from all major NYC media outlets. These posts seem to be getting updated as more details come out.
- 10/25 – BREAKING: Five People Reportedly Stabbed In UWS Luxury Building
- 10/25 – UWS STABBING UPDATE: Video Report From Eyewitness News
- 10/25 – UWS STABBING UPDATE: A Few More Details
- 10/26 - Video & Print Media Coverage Round-Up As Of 11:25 am
- 11/4 - Murder Charges Filed + Sunday Night Vigil In Riverside Park
- 11/5 – Recap & Photos From Vigil + Announcement Of Lulu & Leo Krim Fund
- 11/28 – UWS Nanny Pleads Not Guilty To Stabbing Deaths
- 1/7/13 – Parents Of UWS Kids Killed By Nanny Share Their Thoughts Via Facebook
- 4/5/13 – Accused UWS “Killer Nanny” Deemed Mentally Fit For Trial
Filed under: Crime, Manhattan, New York City, News, NYC, Upper West Side, Upper West Side Blog, UWS No Comments »
Tags: 57 W 75, 57 West 75, candlelight vigil, Crime, first degree murder, Josie Ortega, Kevin Krim, killer nanny, Krim Family, La Rochelle, Leo Krim, Lucia Krim, Lulu & Leo Fund, Lulu Krim, Marina Krim, Murder, nanny stabbing, nannystabbing, Nessie Krim, New York City, NYC, NYPD, Stabbing, Upper West Side, UWS, uws nanny, Yoselyn Ortega