UPDATE 10/26: Print & Video Media Coverage Round-Up As Of 11:25 am
Details are still coming in regarding the horrific stabbing deaths at an Upper West Side building located at 57 W. 75th earlier today.
A nanny allegedly stabbed and killed two children under the age of six.
You can read earlier MUW posts here, here, and here. All the major news programs will have additional coverage tonight that I’ll post in the morning, but here are a few more details that have come out over the past few hours (as of around 10:15 pm on Thursday, 10/25):
- The nanny arrested in connection with the attacks has been identified as a 50-year-old woman — The Post is the only news outlet to publish her name — most others are saying it hasn’t been released.
Details surrounding her condition are still unclear — I’ve seen reports indicating she was led out of the building in handcuffs, as well as reports she was found unconscious and near death. I read at least one quote attributed to Police Commissionor Kelly saying the woman was in “critical but stable condition.” Other reports imply it’s not clear if she’ll survive.
- Early reports indicated their were up to five stabbing victims. I have found no information indicating anyone other than the two children and nanny were stabbed.
- A third child was with the mother of the victims when she returned to the apartment and discovered the horrific scene.
- The father of the children was out of town on business and is returning to New York.
- DNAinfo has dug up pictures of the murdered children as well as other information about the family. I’m sure some people will think it’s good reporting, while others will consider it an invasion of privacy. If you’re interested, you can click through to DNAinfo and decide for yourself. While they’re the first news organization to post these, they definitely won’t be the only one.
- In that DNAinfo article above there is currently (as of around 10:00 pm) news of the building super finding the nanny in the act of stabbing herself in the apartment — the source of those details is the super’s wife. I cannot find similar reports anywhere else, as other outlets are reporting the nanny was found in the bathroom. Either DNA has an exclusive or the facts are incorrect, but based on the quote from Commissioner Kelly, I’m inclined to think it’s the latter.
- The New York Times seems to have the most thorough coverage at the moment, including this summary:
Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said that the mother had left her apartment a block from Central Park at 57 West 75th Street with one of her children, a 3-year-old girl. The two other children were left with the nanny.
When the mother returned around 5:30 p.m., he said, she found a dark apartment. She went back down to the lobby to ask the doorman if he had seen the nanny and her children. When told that they had not left the building, she returned to the apartment. When she turned the lights on in the bathroom, she discovered her two children in the bathtub and the nanny unconscious on the floor.
- NYT also has this chilling description of the scene from a resident in the building:
“There were bloodcurdling screams from a woman and man’s screaming,” said Rima Starr, who lives down the hall from the victims’ second-floor apartment.
Ms. Starr said that when she saw the children’s mother in the building’s lobby, she was in a state of shock. “She was screaming in a psychotic state,” she said. “She was not lucid.”
First, she wailed that she would never see her child again, Ms. Starr said. Then she was “just screaming and swaying,” she recalled. “She had a lucid moment and said, ‘I need a doctor.’ ”
This is without a doubt one of the most unimaginably horrific stories I have ever come across.
- 10/25 – BREAKING: Five People Reportedly Stabbed In UWS Luxury Building
- 10/25 – UWS STABBING UPDATE: Video Report From Eyewitness News
- 10/25 – Details As Of 7:05 pm + Links To All Major NYC Media Coverage
- 10/26 - Video & Print Media Coverage Round-Up As Of 11:25 am
- 11/4 - Murder Charges Filed + Sunday Night Vigil In Riverside Park
- 11/5 – Recap & Photos From Vigil + Announcement Of Lulu & Leo Krim Fund
- 11/28 – UWS Nanny Pleads Not Guilty To Stabbing Deaths
- 1/7/13 – Parents Of UWS Kids Killed By Nanny Share Their Thoughts Via Facebook
- 4/5/13 – Accused UWS “Killer Nanny” Deemed Mentally Fit For Trial
Filed under: Crime, Manhattan, New York City, News, NYC, Upper West Side, Upper West Side Blog, UWS No Comments »
Tags: 57 W 75, 57 West 75, candlelight vigil, Crime, first degree murder, Josie Ortega, Kevin Krim, killer nanny, Krim Family, La Rochelle, Leo Krim, Lucia Krim, Lulu & Leo Fund, Lulu Krim, Marina Krim, Murder, nanny stabbing, nannystabbing, Nessie Krim, New York City, NYC, NYPD, Stabbing, Upper West Side, UWS, uws nanny, Yoselyn Ortega