UPDATE 4:26 pm: Great response so far — more than 60 submission. Thanks to everyone who has tweeted, e-mailed, and posted on Facebook. Keep the tips coming!
UPDATE 5:31 pm: We’re up to about 100 submissions and counting — thanks again for all the great feedback!
I’ve gotten a lot of e-mails from people asking if I know what’s open in the neighborhood. While I’m certainly flattered to be a go to resource for people, I actually haven’t even left my apartment today.
That said, I think this is a great opportunity to do some crowd-sourcing and compile a list. Unfortunately, I’m still having issues with comments, so we’re going to have to do this by e-mail and Twitter, or you can post comments over at facebook.com/myupperwest.
If you’ve spotted something open in the neighborhood, whether it be a supermarket, restaurant, store, or whatever, let me know. E-mail alerts [at] myupperwest.com, use Facebook, or tweet to @MyUpperWest and I’ll update this post as information comes in.
I’ll kick things off with a couple of mentions:
- Boat Basin Cafe is open, but they’re only serving booze (no food). Could be worse.
- Isabella’s (359 Columbus Ave at 77th St) and Ocean Grill (384 Columbus Ave at 78th St) will open at 4:00 pm. $10 Hurricane cocktails (first one is free if your name is Irene) at both restaurants and $1.50 Hurricane Harbor Oysters at Ocean Grill
- Anita posted on MUW’s FB page a little while ago: “What hurricane? :) The usual long Sunday brunch line outside Good Enough to Eat!”
- Update: 3:39 – Chana writes that Nice Matin (Amsterdam & 79th) is open.
- Update: 3:42 – @Cogrady says “Cafe du Soleil has announced that they are open today for brunch and dinner”
- Update: 3:43 – @suefishman: “City Diner is open and packed! Had a great breakfast there this AM.”
- Update: 3:47 – @ellenmaguirenyc has a bunch of opening: Tal Bagels, Golden Boy Market, “Regional opens for brunch at 1:15 pm”, Book Culture
- Update: 3:51 – @LukesLobster opens at 5 pm (UES and EV too, but not FiDi)
- Update: 3:54 – Keith via FB: Viand Cafe has been open all day. Five Napkin Burger and Luke’s Lobster posted on twitter that they will open at 5:00 pm.
- Update: 3:55 – Tolu Lafe Badders via FB: Big Daddy’s and Metro Diner are open
- Update: 3:56 – Mark via FB: Associated Supermarket at 97th & Amsterdam is open
- Update: 3:57 – Sonny via FB: Cascabel Taqueria & Saji’s are open
- Update: 3:58 – Kris via FB: Confirms that Regional was opening around 1ish
- Update: 3:59 – Anita comes back with more via FB: King Chinese Food, Amsterdam Deli, Hi Life Bar/Grill, Sol y Sombra, Alachi Masala
- Update: 4:00 – Jamie via FB: Tenzan on Columbus & 73rd is open
- Update: 4:01 – Karina via FB: Original Rays Pizza on 82nd st and 83rd st on Columbus is open and Gristedes on 84th st and Columbus is also open!
- Update: 4:03 – Brendon via FB: Blondies on 79th is open, “their kitchen staff arrived to a rockstar reception.” Patsy’s Pizza is also open.
- Update: 4:04 – Preetam via FB: Europan, Red Velvet, most of the street side bodega things
- Update: 4:05 – Anita is back with more: Fred’s is open
- Update: 4:06 – Gaby via FB has a slew of open spots: Pinky Nails @73rd, Haagen Dazs, Urlich’s Liquor, West Side Diner, The Muffin Cafe, Athleta, Theory, Tenzan, Silo, Mughlai, Equinox Gym, and Amsterdam Inn
- Update: 4:08 – Laura via FB: Sal and Carmine’s Pizza!
- Update: 4:10 – @SoozQNL: Viand on B’way/75th open. Cafe71 on B’way/71st open since very early this morning!
- Update: 4:12 – @sonnyrd: Broadway Restaurant on bway/101- which is empty most days- was packed this morning! :)
- Update: 4:13 – @UWSmetsfan: Broadway Market and Taste-D-Lite are open
- Update: 4:16 – @hjfalk: The Yard on Freedom Place is open with full bar & menu
- Update: 4:19 – @eveoster: Talia’s, Deli Kasbah, and Seasons Supermarket are all opened for kosher patrons
- Update: 4:23 – @Emily__Egan: Nussbaum & Wu is packed but seats still available!
- Update: 4:27 – @rocar86: Muffin Cafe is open too!
- Update: 4:30 – Jillian via FB: All of the Equinox gyms are open! As someone else already mentioned, I had a tasty slice of pizza at Sal and Carmine Pizza today as well.
- Update: 4:31 – Karina via FB: Subway on 84th St next to Gristedes on Columbus is also open.
- Update: 4:32 – Jessica via FB: The Parlour is open! And the M86 Bus!
- Update: 4:33 – John via FB: Gin Mill and Jake’s Dilemma on Amsterdam are open and serving food and booze
- Update: 4:39: Jillian adds via FB: George Keeley posted on Twitter that they were open today as of 2pm.
- Update: 4:43: @thatguymark: CVS @ 96th/Amsterdam; Indus Valley at 100th/Bway both open.
- Update: 4:46: Anthony via e-mail: Indus Valley is open for dinner. Gristedes on 103rd closes at 8 PM tonight. The McDonalds and Ben & Jerry’s on 104th are open.
- Update: 4:48: Taryn via FB: Blondie’s and Sunburnt Calf are OPEN on W79th St. Believe that there is no table service at Blondie’s, but don’t quote me on it. Harry’s Burritos at Columbus & W71st are opening at 5 pm! Bella Giardino on W71st is open, and so is Big Nick’s Too, also Columbus and 71st.
- Update: 5:00: @heathjw: Candlelight Wine and Spirits on broadway btw 83/84 is open.
- Update: 5:02: B.R. Guest e-mailed to say Atlantic Grill at Lincoln Center is joining Isabella’s and Ocean Grill on the “Open” list. Same deal as above – $10 Hurricane cocktails (first one is free if your name is Irene) at both restaurants and $1.50 Hurricane Harbor Oysters at Ocean Grill
- Update: 5:07: @heathjw: Add that Westside Market at 76th open.
- Update: 5:09: @FilmLinc is up and running
- Update: 5:11: Ilene via FB: Westside Judaica is open. Clearly we were saved by a higher power :)
- Update: 5:13: Katherine via FB: Very grateful to St. James Gate at 81st and Amsterdam for staying open for dinner last night and greeting participants for lunch this morning!
- Update: 5:29: Jamie via FB: Dead Poet is open on amsterdam & 82nd
- Update: 5:34: @annetteclancy: Gristedes & Aangan on Broadway @ 103 are open, Gristedes till 8pm
- Update: 5:50: @emily_cohn: Kitaro Sushi (Amsterdam between 84th and 85th). Most bodegas are open, too.
- Update: 5:56: @agac: George Keeley is open…and rockin’.
- Update: 6:04: Riva via FB: Seasons on Amsterdam and 93rd open, until 9 pm tonight. CVS on Amsterdam and 86th open too.
- Update: 6:13: Jennifer vis FB: Barcibo, Bin 71, Nanoosh and Food Emporium on 68 and bwy
- Update: 6:22: @hungrydomaine: Calle Ocho is open
- Update: 6:28: Didi via FB: The ever reliable Andy’s Deli on 74th/Amsterdam has been open all day and has no signs of closing down anytime soon!
- Update: 7:05: @tohruw: Dive Bar on Amsterdam (bet 95/96) is open and rockin!
- Update: 7:27: Susan via FB: Jubilee on Freedom Place is open until 8. And I just saw the M72 go by.
- Update: 7:31: Daren via e-mail: Malecon No. 2 and Ozen are open on Amsterdam Avenue, btwn 97th and 98th.
- Update: 7:33: Stephanie via e-mail: B Cafe West is also open.
- Update: 7:36: @BHisaRockstar: The Neighborhood and Amsterdam Tavern are open. Tavern has $5 hurricanes.
- Update: 7:45: Michelle via e-mail: Gabriela’s on Columbus.
- Update: 7:46: Ocean Grill is out of Hurricane Harbor Oysters, and it’s possible that Atlantic Grill @ Lincoln Center is as well. They’re offering Naked Cowboy oysters for $1.50 each while supplies last. Thanks to Jenny for the tip!
- Update: 7:53: @NikiMarie: Pomodoro on Columbus btw 70 & 71 open
Filed under: Bars, Food & Drink, Going Out, Guest Posts, Kosher, Manhattan, Nature, New York City, News, NYC, Openings/Closings, Restaurants, Seniors, Shopping, Things to do, Today On The UWS, Upper West Side, Upper West Side Blog, UWS 3 Comments »
Tags: 5 Napkin Burger, Aangan, Add new tag, Alachi Masala, Amsterdam Deli, Amsterdam Inn, Amsterdam Tavern, Andy's Deli, Associated Supermarket, athleta, Atlantic Grill, B Cafe West, Barcibo, Bella Giardino, Ben & Jerry's, Big Daddy's, Big Nick's Too, Bin 71, Blondies, Boat Basin Cafe, Book Culture, Broadway Market, Broadway Restaurant, Cafe 71, Cafe du Soleil, Calle Ocho, Candlelight Wine and Spirits, Cascabel Taqueria, City Dine, CVS, Dead Poet, Deat Poet Bar, Dive Bar, Equinox, Equinox Gym, Europan, Film Linc, Film Society of Lincoln Center, filmlinc, Five Napkin Burger, Fred's, Gabriela's, George Keeley, Gin Mill, Golden Boy Market, Good Enough To Eat, Gristedes, Haagen-Dazs, Harry's Burritos, Hi Life Bar, Hurricane Irene, Indus Valley, Irene, Isabella's Ocean Grill, Jake's Dilemma, jubilee, King Chinese Food, Kitaro Sushi, Luke's Lobster, M72, Malecon No. 2, McDonald's, Mughlai, Nanoosh, Netro Diner, New York City, Nice Matin, Nussbaum & Wu, NYC, Original Ray's Pizza, Ozen, Patsy's Pizza, Pinky Nails, Pomodoro, Red Velvet, Regional, Sal & Carmine's, salute to the sun, Seasons, Silo, Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, St. James Gate, Subway, Sunburnt Calf, Tal Bagels, Taste-D-Lite, Tenzen, The Muffin Cafe, The Neighborhood, The Parlour, The Yard, Theory, Upper West Side, Urlich's Liquor, UWS, Viand Cafe, West Side Diner, Westside Judaica, Westside Market, what's open